Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Portable Wireshark Settings

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:01:49 +0200
Guy Harris schrieb:
Ulf Lamping wrote:

No. For an U3 package, you'll need an U3 stick to work properly. The U3 system will set some special U3 environment variables and that's the problem here.

So how are non-U3 portable applications produced for Windows? Are special builds done, or is the application otherwise induced to store its settings on the application medium rather than on the system disk or in the user's home directory
As only the personal setting paths are affected, both would be possible.

The best looking collection of portable applications for Win32 is http://portableapps.com/

Some time ago, John T. Haller from that page asked for a portable version of Wireshark - exactly for that reason, I've introduced the -P option ;-)

http://portableapps.com/development, briefly describes how to build such a portable version.

Regards, ULFL

P.S: a portable version could also serve as the "zip only" Win32 version that was also requested some time ago ...