Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Portable Wireshark Settings

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 22:47:28 +0200
Misc schrieb:
Ulf Lamping wrote:

What does Help/About/Folders show?

Regards, ULFL

"Personal configuration" and "Personal Plugins" point to AppData under
User Profile (in Documents & Settings). And that is precisely what the
problem is. How can I point it to my USB drive?

"Global Configuration" and "Global Plugins" correctly point to the
Wireshark folder on USB drive.

I have regular USB drive, not U3. So I simply unzipped the U3 package
to the desired location. Could that be a problem? Although if it's
truly portable, it should work correctly regardless...

No. For an U3 package, you'll need an U3 stick to work properly. The U3 system will set some special U3 environment variables and that's the problem here.

You can use -P command line option to adjust the personal folders, see http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChCustCommandLine.html

Regards, ULFL