Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] SSL Decryption

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:03:44 -0400
Derek Shinaberry wrote:
Can someone help me understand why you must have the server's private key in order to be able to decrypt the session between the client and the server? It seems to me that if the server and client can conduct the session without the client ever knowing the server's private key, then a capture of the session on the client's side ought to be able to decrypt the session using just what is in the SSL handshake exchange. What don't I understand about the process that precludes this behavior?

You might want to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_cryptography