Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Low Level Ethernet Debugging

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:10:15 -0700
Last I checked 3Com still throws out frame errors, so you won't see CRC
errors. Ever. Getting CRC and other ethernet errors is tough under Windows
anyway. NDIS doesn't specify how to process errors, so commercial drivers
toss those packets. You need to find a driver that will pass all the
errrors up the stack. It's been a major problem with software based
analyzers in the Windows world.

Randy Grein
Network Engineer

"Benatar, Naisan" <Naisan.Benatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/25/2007 04:06 AM
Please respond to
Community support list for Wireshark <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"'wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[Wireshark-users] Low Level Ethernet Debugging

Hi,

I'm looking for a way of looking at Lowlever ethernet errors and ideally
thier contents.  I belive that I am recieving ethernet frames with CRC
errors and the Ethernet Device/Phy is throwing them away.
When I check the Statistics->Summary page in the details of the device it
has "Dropped packets" with the value Unknown.  It would be very useful if
this actually gave the number of packets
the hardware was throwing away - Is there anything I have to do to get
this
working or is it a limitation of my device e.g. Not implemented at Driver
level - the PC im using is Dell laptop
with an onboard 3Com 3C905-Tx Compatible (I think its a 920) being run
under
WinXP

Thanks for Any help offered

Naisan

Thales Avionics Limited is incorporated in England and Wales.  Company
registration number 523160.  Registered Office: 2 Dashwood Lang Road, The
Bourne Business Park, Addlestone, Nr. Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2NX.

This message is private and confidential.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system.