Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Apple Mac OS X crash on start

From: Mark Boltz <mboltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:59:45 -0400
Hi folks,

I'm trying to build Wireshark on an Apple MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.9. Here's my wireshark --version output:

enterprise:~/Documents mboltz$ wireshark --version
wireshark 0.99.5

Copyright 1998-2007 Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> and contributors.

Compiled with GTK+ 2.10.12, with GLib 2.13.2, with libpcap 0.9.4, with libz
1.2.3, without libpcre, without Net-SNMP, without ADNS, without Lua, without
GnuTLS, without Gcrypt, with MIT Kerberos, without PortAudio, without AirPcap.
NOTE: this build doesn't support the "matches" operator for Wireshark filter
syntax.

Running on Darwin 8.9.1, with libpcap version 0.9.4.

Built using gcc 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367).

----

I built everything in the following manner:

As of this writing (30 may 2007), the latest versions were:
        pkg-config 0.21 found at www.freedesktop.org
        freetype 2.3.4 found at freetype.sourceforge.net
        gettext 0.16 found at ftp.gnu.org or mirror
        glib 2.13.2 found at ftp.gtk.org/pub/glib
        cairo 1.4.6 found @ www.cairographics.org
        pango 1.17.0 found at ftp.gtk.org/pub/pango
        atk 1.19.1 found at ftp.gnome.org
and     gtk+ 2.10.12

[ I switched atk to 1.18.0, because 1.19.1 complained about missing gnome-something or other, and I certainly don't want to build Gnome for OS X]

I then built everything from source in this way:

PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgc
onfig"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH

configure/make/make install pkg-config
configure/make/make install freetype
configure/make/make install gettext
   configure --without-libjpeg --without-libpng --without-libtiff for rest:
configure/make/make install glib
configure/make/make install cairo
configure/make/make install pango
configure/make/make install atk
configure/make/make install gtk+

and for cairo had to switch to --disable-png instead. Then compiled wireshark 0.99.5 with
configure/make/make install.

Actually, the make install was a "sudo make install", the rest were just as me in my ~/src directory.

Wireshark seemed to compile cleanly, but when I go to start it under X11 now, it loads the splash for init dissectors, and then crashed with:

mboltz$ wireshark

(wireshark:12581): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL' failed

(wireshark:12581): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Bus error

Any ideas?

--
Mark Boltz