Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] question on seeing the vlan tags on linux

From: "Mike Landman" <mlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:39:50 -0400

Hi,

I’m not seeing some VLAN tags that I think should exist. I’m running wireshark on a Dell server blade running linux. The Ethernet adapter is NOT configured for VLANs in any way. It’s connected to a switch that has port mirroring configured to send packets to the Dell.

I receive the packet, but it looks as if the eth type and vlan ID (i.e. the entire vlan tag) is stripped.

Reading the FAQ and the wiki, I see that this is expected behavior in either of the following cases:

(1)     Under Linux, if I have a vlan configured Ethernet adapter, then the VLAN tag might be stripped before going up the stack.

(2)     Under Windows, the drivers for some broadcom/intel adapters will strip out the vlan tag, and a registry key needs to be tweaked to allow that data to be visible higher up the stack.

In my scenario, I’m running Linux, there is no VLAN configuration, yet the packets still seem to have the 1st VLAN tag removed. It’s 802.1ah, so I expect to see 2 VLAN tags. I only see one. It’s as if the first vlan tag is removed, leaving the second one in the place that the first would otherwise be.

Has anyone ever seen this occur under Linux, when capturing directly from eth0 (i.e. not eth0.100?)

Regards,

-mike