Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Delay-Calculations with RTCP-Packets

From: Eram Khan <eramk2003@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:14:47 +0200 (CEST)
Aha! ok now I get it. Its actually the 13 ms which is the actual network propagation delay then 13 ms is quite an acceptable value. The values for delay which I had sent u are from the books which Im using as reference. The authors are all german a Mr. Mathias Hein (Voice over IP Professional Series) and a Mr. Anatol Badach (Voice over IP- The Technology).

But I guess u explained it to me better than any other author could do. Im still so frustrated abt the fact that how much time I had invested with these dumb calculations.

Anwayz thx!!

Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
On 5/23/07, Eram Khan wrote:
> Ok!! I tried out with the view option and it works. Im surprised that its so
> easy to do it and I was using these complex calculations all the time. So
> 1932 ms is the round trip delay of the packets u sent me. Isnt it a high
> value coz wat I read round trip delay (d) should be

No. 1932 ms is the time elapsed between sending one report out and
receiving an incoming report whose LSR refers to the first report.
Endpoints will send out reports based on a timer or some other
trigger. Some endpoints may send a report as soon as they receive
one, but that didn't happen in this example.

We calculated the actual network propagation roundtrip delay as 13ms.
Which as Wireshark shows is the calculated time taken for a 2-way
roundtrip.

> less than 150 ms => which is acceptable for all
> and 150 ms < d < 300 ms => which is acceptable for some users
> and d >300 ms => not acceptable.
>
> Or are these values for one-way delays?

I'm not sure where these values come from. They may well be one-way,
in which case you would probably divide the roundtrip delay by 2 to
get the delay (assuming the route taken is the same for both
directions...).