Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Conflict with Cisco VPN?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:53:23 +0200
Mark McWhinney wrote:
Hello,

Recently I installed Ethereal 0.99 / WinPcap 3 then upgraded to the current
Wireshark 0.99.5 / WinPcap 4 on my Windows XP Pro laptop.

I have been using Cisco VPN for a while without any trouble.  Now, the VPN
does not work on my network card but does work with my Wireless connection.

Is it possible that Ethereal/Wireshark/WinPcap damaged a driver or something
else that would muck up my TCP packets?
From several years of experience: In the world of computers, everything is possible ;-)
I uninstalled Ethereal/Wireshark/WinPcap and re-installed the Cisco VPN
client but am still getting the same results.

Any tips or pointers?

See: http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/InterferingSoftware

You may better ask the WinPcap team about this. Wireshark is very certainly *not* the cause of your problems, but WinPcap probably is.

Regards, ULFL