Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] decoding part of a SOCKS message as XML

From: Stefan Puiu <stefan.puiu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 22:11:09 +0000 (UTC)
Hi list,

We have some software running on normal PCs that communicates with some
embedded devices through a SOCKS proxy. The protocol used is XML-based,
however, I'm having a hard time extracting the text from the messages
in a readable form from wireshark (I'm using 0.99.5).

If I try to export a capture, I get packet bytes in hex and the text on the
right hand side, with very short lines, so it's not useful - this is probably
because the message is part SOCKS, part text. Is it possible to somehow have
wireshark decode or export a certain field as ASCII? Something along the lines
of "show raw SIP message" for SIP, but only for a field in SOCKS messages.

Stefan.