Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] VNC playback

From: Jon Polacheck <jonpol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:43:51 -0500
>Having a record of the desktop that generated the client side
> traffic would be a great help in both understanding the problem
> and getting the developer pointed in the right direction.

I think there are some tools for recording local desktops but usually they slow down the system significantly because of inefficient screen grabbing methods they use. But for some specific cases there are very efficient tools exist on the market. One tool i'm aware of is RecordTS (www.tsfactory.com) that records traffic of Terminal Server remote users. Definitely, it can help a lot with tracing user problems.

Unfortunately, the desktops I want to "playback" do not access or run Terminal Server. VNC is the application of choice and VNC server is included in the standard workstation load.

Also, having the "data" to create the playback already in the trace makes the process that much more convenient.

Jon