Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Display filter

From: "Irakli Natshvlishvili" <iraklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:02:14 -0800
Yaah, I dug into docs and found that regex could be used in display filters.

Unfortunately, windows installer for Wireshark does not have PCRE support. Am I right?

Do I understand correctly, that I need re-compile wireshark from the source under windows to have regex support?

If yes, than, well, sorry, I can't do it...

--i.n.

On 5/2/07, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Irakli Natshvlishvili wrote:
> Question:
>
> Using display filters is there a way to find if a particular string
> occurs more then once in a packet?
>
> For example, if there is an UDP packet which has payload "this is one
> 1234 two one test", then filtering via UDP contains "one" will display
> this UDP packet.
>
> But I want to filter ALL packets, where this particular string occurs
> more then once.
>
> Any way do do it?

If you have PCRE support compiled in, you can use something like

    udp matches "one.*one"

That translates to "the string 'one' followed by zero or more characters
followed by the string 'one'."  The "matches" operator supports
Perl-compatible regular expressions, which are described at
http://perldoc.perl.org/perlre.html .

You can check for PCRE support via "Help->About Wireshark" or by using
the "-v" command-line flag.  You can also type in the filter above and
see if the display filter entry turns green.