Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problems while decoding STUN Binding Request and Responses

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:49:14 +0100
Pedro Gon�alves wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having some trouble while decoding STUN Binding Request and Responses.
> Sometimes they get decoded the right way, sometimes STUN packets are
> decoded as DNP 3.0, RTP or RTCP (?!).
>
> I'm sending two captures I made so you can check for yourself:
> for example, in problems_wireshark_1.pcap, odd packets are STUN Binding
> Request and even packets are STUN Binding Responses.
>
> Why are the first two packets decoded as DNP 3.0 and the rest of them
> are decoded ok?

Which version of Wireshark?

The DNP decoding occurs because the messages are using port 20000 which
is the port DNP 3.0 uses.  I have strengthened the DNP heuristics
recently, including an error where UDP packets were treated as tcp
fragments.  This was committed as r20651 & r20683 around the beginning
of Feb 2007.  I don't think these were in 0.99.5.

My current version handles the file correctly.

As a workaround, disable DNP 3.0 from Analyze | Enabled Protocols ...,
or try a buildbot build.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice