Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Tshark filter problems

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 23:43:26 +0200
On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 04:19:54PM -0500, Michael Bann wrote:

> I run "tshark -f `cat /path/to/my_filter`" and I get the following error:
> "tshark: Capture filters were specified both with "-f" and with
> additional command-line arguments"

You need to put the filter in quotes so that the OS sees it as
one word:

tshark -f "`cat /path/to/my_filter`"

should do the trick. Just tried it myself:

sablo@for-gods-sake ~
$ cat filter
host 10.31.103.64 or
host 10.31.100.254

sablo@for-gods-sake ~
$ tshark -f `cat filter`
tshark: Capture filters were specified both with "-f" and with additional command-line arguments

sablo@for-gods-sake ~
$ tshark -f "`cat filter`"
Capturing on eth0
0 packets captured