Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Please help with difference between packets"lost" and "dro

From: "COHEN, HARVEY S, ATTLABS" <hscohen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:09:20 -0500
RTP packets have sequence numbers. If packets 1, 2, and 5 are in the
trace, then packets 3 and 4 are considered lost. Wireshark flags
sequence arrival errors. However, packets played out depend on the exact
characteristics of the dejitter buffer in the playout device. Wireshark
does not model dejitter buffers, so it can't tell you what would be
dropped due to jitter or sequence errors.
Similarly, GSM 06.10 decoder software will not tell you exactly what the
listener hears unless you model the dejitter buffer correctly.
PacketScan (http://gl.com/packetscan.html#protocols) will do what you
want, but it's not cheap.

Harvey S. Cohen