Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on Fin/ack

From: Jack Jackson <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:16:57 -0700
Remember that the connection is not closed until both ends have sent fin and both fins have been acked.

Another consideration is that a TCP connection moves to the Timed Wait state after both fins have been acked. While the connection is in Timed Wait the TCP stack must remember the IP addresses and ports of both ends of the connection. Timed Wait is often 1-2 minutes. If the print server has limited data space, it might refuse new connections until table entries free up if many connections are made in a short period of time.