Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] VoIP Analysis for Dummies

From: "Cliff Weisgerber" <cliff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:30:07 -0600

Hi,

I am trying to use wireshark to trace VoIP activity.  First, I must plead ignorance as far as doing network sniffs – I have used ethereal in the past and now wireshark but am no expert at this.

My problem:  I see no SIP or RTP traffic on the traces I am doing.  I am filtering out just the traffic between a couple of phones, the gateways in the network and my asterisk server.  My phones and the PC running wireshark are all on the same LinkSys hub so I should see this stuff, shouldn’t I?  I make calls between the phones and see nothing.

What am I not doing correctly?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Cliff Weisgerber

Cliff

"On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones for tea."