Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Delta measurements for VOIP calls

From: Adam Harding <adam.harding2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:56:25 +0000
Hi,

I have taken some wireshark results of VOIP calls between two computers.

The strange thing I notice is that the delta value seems to alternate between around 30ms and then every 2 or 3 packets goes to near 0ms. I am using the GSM 06.10 codec so I guess they are sending packets out every 30ms so I am expecting the delta value to fluctuate around the 30ms mark so was wondering what was causing it to go down to near 0ms every other packet or so?

This is giving strange results when calculating the mean delta manually in excel. Maybe I should neglect those very small values when calculating the mean delta?

Please see a section of my results below so you can see what I mean.

Thanks,

Packet/seq no.,  Delta,  Jitter, Bandwidth

4932	32561	31.73	14.53	29.2
4933	32562	0.37	14.85	29.78
4936	32563	31.73	14.66	29.78
4937	32564	0.37	14.97	30.37