Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on Decoding packet with insertedproprietary heade

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:01:07 -0400
Request added to Wish List page:  http://wiki.wireshark.org/WishList

Under Dissection, item 7 added:
Add a user scriptable language or perhaps an XML user customizable
template to describe a packet format. The script language or XML file
would then be interpreted by something in Wireshark or an addon so that
a non-programmer could add a dissector or a protocol/data-link format
for simpler protocols. For example, if you have a frame with a 34 byte
inserted proprietary header between the Ethernet Frame header and the IP
header and don't know or care about its contents, you could describe the
header as a 34-byte opaque blob without having to code a new dissector
in C. --J Small, reachable via Wireshark User List

Sound good?

--Jim