Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on Decoding packet withinsertedproprietary header

From: "Douglas Pratley" <Douglas.pratley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:22:35 -0000
Jim

If you can modify the saved PCAP file using a hex editor, try setting
the Pcap DLT at the start of the file to a "user defined" value such as
147 (see the Wireshark docs and Wiki for info on the PCap file format).
This will cause Wireshark to pass the whole packet to a DLT_User
dissector.

Then Edit\Preferences and look up Protocols\DLT_User.

This allows you to say that the header is a certain number of bytes but
should be ignored (leave the header proto blnak) and the payload should
be treated as a given protocol. If you set the header length to be
Ethernet + vendor length, and the payload protocol to be IP, this might
work for you (assumes the vendor header is fixed length).

Someone has updated the UI for this preference in the latest Wireshark
so that it's a bit clearer. I'm not sure what version you are using.

Cheers

Doug