Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Help installing 0.99.5

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:01:37 -0800
Leonard, Thomas J wrote:
*I received the following errors after running "make install" in my Linux home directory:* test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- . "/usr/local/lib" /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'libwiretap.la' '/usr/local/lib/libwiretap.la' /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libwiretap.so.0.0.1 /usr/local/lib/libwiretap.so.0.0.1 /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/lib/libwiretap.so.0.0.1': Permission denied

Is the account under which you ran the "make install" denied permission to write to the directory "/usr/local/lib"? If so, that's what you should expect to happen; either configure it to install in a directory in which you can write or, if you can get permission to do so (e.g., if you can run "sudo" on the machine), either run the "make install" as root (so it can install in "/usr/local/lib", etc.) or change the permissions on the directories in which "make install" will install things to let you install in them.