Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] FW: [tcpdump-workers] Help on Ethernet Size

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:10:24 -0800

On Mar 6, 2007, at 9:50 PM, ARAMBULO, Norman R. wrote:

So what language can you recommend using for such task?

I'd recommend using compiled machine code, to the maximum extent possible. :-)

(I.e., I'd recommend not writing your own code to do it, but instead to use an existing app, such as Wireshark, and, if Wireshark doesn't do everything you need, adding code to Wireshark and contributing that code for other users. The work Wireshark does to dissect VoIP traffic is sufficiently complicated that choosing a language other than C probably won't help as much as you might like - especially given that, if you start from scratch writing a sniffer for VoIP, you'll have to duplicate all the stuff that Wireshark already does.)