Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Save the bytes of a particular field from all the displaye

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:10:51 +0100
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 09:24:45PM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> Sake Blok wrote:
> >
> > Would't this be option be feeling more at home under the "File" menu?
> > It is about exporting parts of the data-stream. My suggestion would be:
> > "File | Export | Objects".
>
> Yes, you're right, File is the place to go. "File / Export / HTTP
> Objects" might be ok.

What will we do when more protocols are equiped with this feature?
I can imagine that at least the following protocols can have such a
feature: FTP, NFS, CIFS, TFTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, MSN, RDP.

Maybe "File | Export | Objects | <protocol>" would be more scalable
(although initially it would mean an additional click).

> Do we want to have a packet list context menu item like "Export / HTTP
> Objects" to save a/the object(s) of a single packet?

To keep the context-menu small I would suggest an option like
"Export | Objects" whenever a certain protocol has an export-function
enabled. The user knows which protocol (s)he is currently viewing
anyways...

Cheers,

Sake