Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on Ethereal

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:32:12 -0800
John Burnley wrote:
I know this list is for Wireshark but I've seen a few posts/questions on ethereal and tethereal.

Note that Ethereal/Tethereal and Wireshark/TShark aren't different programs, just as "Windows NT", "Windows 2000", "Windows XP", etc. aren't completely different OSes - in both cases, there was a name change (as of version 0.99.2, Ethereal became Wireshark; as of version 5.0, Windows NT started being given different names for each release, e.g. NT 5.0 was called "Windows 2000", NT 5.1 was called "Windows XP", NT 5.2 was Windows Server 2003 in its server version and the 64-bit Windows XP in its desktop version, etc.).