Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Norton AntiSpam] Re: Help. I do not know much about anyth

From: "Chet Seligman" <cseligman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:43:34 -0800

I work for an Avaya and Cisco business partner certifying networks for IP-Tel.

These companies recommend G.711 for LAN and G.729 for WAN.

The testing that I do shows that in a “perfect network” i.e. virtually no losses, G.711 renders a MOS (Mean Opinion Score) of 4.4 and G.729 renders 4.1. I don’t think the human ear can really tell the difference.

When Voicemail is involved, Avaya best practices says to use G.711 because the repeated application of the algebraic compression algorithm causes loss of voice quality. Avaya says to use G.711 for voicemail, even over a WAN. I don’t have Cisco’s position on that.