Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Installation issue with Wireshark 0.99.5

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:51:43 -0800
Rob Kuiters wrote:
> As I installed wireshark 0.99.5 with the winpcap 4.0 installer McAffee
> noticed that the winpcap installer did put Adware-Softomate.dll on to my
> system.
> Installing winpcap and wireshark seperatly didn't cause this issue.

The WinPcap 4.0 installer that ships with Wireshark has the same MD5 sum
as the installer on the WinPcap web site:
851fccab0aded696dec89706051bf666

When the Wireshark installer runs the WinPcap installer, it doesn't pass
it any flags on the command line -- that is, WinPcap should be installed
in exactly the same way whether you're installing it directly or from
Wireshark.

When McAffee flagged the installation of Adware-Softomate.dll, did you
see any of the system changes listed in the "Characteristics" tab at
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_133634.htm ?  E.g. did the Zuvio
toolbar actually show up, or did any of the listed registry keys
actually get set?