Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Connection dropping on en0 on OS X.

From: Alan Prather <aprather@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:58:07 -0500
Hi all,

I'm new to the list, I found that this was *partially* covered in:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.wireshark.user/1012/match=os+x +drops+connection

Basically:
On OS X Tiger, when I run wireshark as soon as I start capturing packets it knocks out my connection.

As mentioned in the article, I can re-connect my wireless connection and get the capture going again. What can I do to my ethernet interface to start up again? I tried renewing DHCP to no avail. It ends up locking in with a self assigned non-routable IP address.

Has this issue in PCAP on OSX been resolved? It's incredibly frustrating to deal with and in many cases I can't use wireless on networks I'll be looking at. As I understand it, it's a bug in the OSX implementation of PCAP.

So, what can I do to get ethernet en0 to 'pick up' the connection again while capturing? The wireless workaround I discovered seems to be the only other mention of a workaround.

Thanks!

-Alan