Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] U3 Package

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:00:08 +0100
Andreas Fink wrote:
What is all this hype about U3? Its a USB stick after all and it holds a binary which should be able to be doubleclicked from it. So what's all THAT hot of having a menubar gui to launch it from there?
It's about comfort.

As I've said earlier, using apps from PortableApps.com comes near to it, but the integration of the U3 solution is better.

The U3 stick much better deals with sticking the stick in (the start of the Launchpad works much better than any handmade solution with .inf files I've seen) and out (just press "Auswerfen" and all "U3 programs" will be closed cleanly without any further interaction).

Most of this can be achieved by handmade tweaks, but the U3 solution just works.

Of course there are some drawbacks:
- you'll need Windows and a U3 stick
- the amount of U3 packaged applications is very limited, but increasing ;-)
I could never ever use U3 so far (I use a Mac in 99% of the cases) and usually have a hard time deleting the U3 installation to recover the memory space I'm supposed to have (as there is no U3 tools for the Mac, there is no uninstaller for it neither and formatting the stick doesnt get rid of the virtual CD which shows up to annoy you....)
I really don't understand you here. If you know that you won't need the U3 feature, why do you buy an U3 stick?!? There are a lot none U3 sticks out there...

Regards, ULFL