Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] U3 Package

From: Andreas Fink <afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:40:40 +0100
What is all this hype about U3? Its a USB stick after all and it holds a binary which should be able to be doubleclicked from it. So what's all THAT hot of having a menubar gui to launch it from there?

I could never ever use U3 so far (I use a Mac in 99% of the cases) and usually have a hard time deleting the U3 installation to recover the memory space I'm supposed to have (as there is no U3 tools for  the Mac, there is no uninstaller for it neither and formatting the stick doesnt get rid of the virtual CD which shows up to annoy you....)

What am I missing here?

On 06.02.2007, at 18:24, Scott Vermillion wrote:

> Well there is this:

Very interesting Hans.  Actually, I have no doubt that it can be done.  I'm just not sure if there has been a big
demand for it within the Ethereal/Wireshark community?  I would use such a capability almost daily; especially
if I could capture from a USB drive without full administrator privilidges.  Some of the networks/machines
that I work on a very tightly controled and thus installing software for test purposes can become an ordeal.

In any case, I'm a die-hard Wireshark groupie and that new AirPcap 802.11 capture device has already paid for
itself.  I now have the U3 package installed on my USB drive and that's one less thing I'll have to install next time around.
Progress, progress...

BTW, thanks much all for your hard work on  a great set of tools...

Andreas Fink

Fink Consulting GmbH
Global Networks Schweiz AG
BebbiCell AG

Tel: +41-61-6666330 Fax: +41-61-6666331  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
www.finkconsulting.com www.global-networks.ch www.bebbicell.ch
ICQ: 8239353 MSN: msn1@xxxxxx AIM: smsrelay Skype: andreasfink
Yahoo: finkconsulting SMS: +41792457333