Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to export / print packets as displayed, not sorted by

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 00:30:23 +0100
Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

I think you should file a bug report on that. Please state that if you
select "Displayed" in the Print or Export dialog you expect the frames to
be output in the order displayed, sorted by whatever column you selected.

Hmmm, the setting in question of this dialog reads:

Packet Details: As Displayed

This is about printing the *packet details* (the tree) as displayed, *not* about the packet list.

There's currently no option to use any other than the column "No" to sort the packets while printing, just because this sorting would have to be (re-)implemented in the Print mechanism.

So the behaviour requested was never a design goal of the print (export, ...) function - although it might be useful in some cases.

You may file an "Enhancement" report on that.

As this won't be a trivial implementation effort for only relatively small benefit, don't expect this anytime soon ...

Regards, ULFL