Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Reassemble packets from Gnutella download?

From: d a <otto81494@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 20:17:25 -0800 (PST)
James
Thanks for the response. Was hoping for something a bit more automated like the "export as raw data option" but I can work with this too. Il give it a try
Dave

"Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave,

You should be able to do a follow TCP stream and save the contents to a file. However, in order to edit the file, you need to use a hex editor. If you use a regular editor, it will mangle the file. Usually when I do this (for example saving a JPEG), I open a working JPEG in a Hex editor so I can see what the initial file header is. For JPEGs, I believe this is HEX:ffd8ffe000104a464946 (ASCII:����..JFIF). Then when I edit the exported TCP stream, I know to delete up to that header so that I can save a valid JPEG. I have used this to extract many different types of files successfully.

Here's an example free Hex Editor that I have used:
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/Family/hex-editor.html

Not to say there aren't better ones, but this one has worked for me.

--Jim