Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] capturing packets in "stealth" mode on Windows

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:27:12 -0500
Dave,

Under the Network Adapter Properties, under the General Tab, you should
see a list of clients/protocols/etc. that "use" the particular network
adapter.  For example:
Client for Microsoft Networks
VMware Bridge Protocol
Deterministic Network Enhancer
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
Network Monitor Driver
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

You want to uncheck everything except the Network Monitor Driver - I
believe this is what WinPcap is using to monitor the network adapter.

You should then be able to "silently" monitor the network that this
particular network adapter is hooked up to.  I have tried this and it
works for me.

That said, if you want a perfect solution, you would have to have to get
a switch that can mirror/SPAN ports, or get a network tap, or cut the
transmit wires on the patch cord.

--Jim

Windows