Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] WAN Capacity Planning

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:14:28 -0800
On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 07:37:10PM -0200, Persio Pucci wrote:

> I am troubleshooting some frame-relay circuits, and looking for
> evidences that can help me calculate a WAN upgrade on the circuits.
> What should I be looking at (retransmissions? delay/delta?) and is
> there any general formula to apply to those results?

The main thing to look at is bandwidth utilization when upgrading a WAN
circuit.  Also make sure that you are doing QoS, so that your priority
traffic (if any) such as voice/video/certain data is carried across the
circuit with minimal delay.  QoS will of course cause non-priority
traffic to be delayed even more so you can look at response times of
applications/services across the WAN circuit, which is where Wireshark
could come in.  Check our the Statistics menu to see if there is
something applicable to your setup.  I would suggest looking at the TCP
Stream Graphs Service Response Time sections.  The longer distance of a
WAN circuit will make a difference in the delay.

Finally, no, there are no solid formulas to use ;)  Just compare the
statistics when the circuit is over-utilized and not to see how bad it
gets.  Once you start getting noticable delays, it's time to upgrade.
That usually starts happening when bandwidth is being maxed out.

Steve