Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Question on new U3P format of Wireshark

From: "Graeme Lunt" <graeme.lunt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:15:26 +0100
Hi,

> Let's say I get a U3 flash drive, and the u3p package for Wireshark.
> Does that mean I can take that flash drive to any computer (let's say
> Windows XP computer), plug it in, and run Wireshark doing a
> promiscuous capture from the U3P package?

Yes.

> I won't have to install anything, including WinPcap on the host computer?

The U3 packaging will (in 0.99.5) attempt to install WinPcap (using the
standard WinPcap packaging) the first time you run wireshark on a machine
that doesn't have WinPcap installed. If the U3 packaging installs WinPcap,
it will also remove it when you remove the U3 device.

In the current development version, the U3 packaging will ask you if you
want to install WinPcap, rather than running the installer and having to
cancel the WinPcap installation if you don't want it. This improves the
start-up speed if you don't need WinPcap installing.

Installing the WinPcap package is not really the ideal approach for a U3
device. Making WinPcap more U3 friendly is something to be looked at.

> The last point I'm especially interested in--with the U3 packaging
> format, does it preclude having to install a driver on the host?

If you want to capture packets, you will have to install WinPcap. The U3
packaging will, like the NSIS packaging, ask you if you want to install it
if it isn't already installed.

Graeme