Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Help on Tethereal, tcpdump & Dumpcap in capturing data on

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:36:25 -0800
ARAMBULO, Norman R. wrote:

Is there someone here who has tried using tcpdump or dumpcap in capturing packets on a GigE interface, we tried to run it but the system freezes.

If the entire *system* freezes, it's probably a Solaris bug. You might want to ask Sun about it.

Also, try using snoop to capture the traffic; if that also freezes, at least the Sun people won't be able to blame it on third-party software. :-) If it doesn't freeze, Wireshark can read the capture file (to get something Wireshark can read, use the "-o" flag so that the capture is saved in binary format).