Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Help on Solaris9 Shutdown Problem while Capturing Packets

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 16:53:07 -0500

ARAMBULO, Norman R. wrote:
Hi,
Currently we have already installed the ethereal software for our Solaris9 Sparc, but the problem is the blade server shuts down. The scenaio is: 1. We captured sample packets using tethereal with xx bytes. 2. then after analyzing the data, we tried capturing specific no. of bytes i.e. 50 mb but the system is down. Does anyone here experience the same scenario that Im experiencing right now.

Shuts down as in powers off or shuts down as in panics and reboots?

Anyway, no, I've never had such an experience.

The only thing I can think of is that Ethereal/Wireshark may use quite a bit of memory if you capture large amounts of packets and this may cause the system to become unresponsive, but that doesn't sound like what you're describing.