Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP Checksum Incorrect

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:50:38 -0800
Leonard, Thomas J wrote:

I recently created plugins for Ethereal using idl2eth and need to
recompile.  Can someone direct me to the Makefiles, autogen.sh and the
./configure?

They're in the Wireshark source tarball.

Is it necessary to recompile once the plugins are
generated or can we simply run Ethereal using the plugin code.

If you didn't have to modify Wireshark, although there's no provision for compiling a plugin without recompiling Wireshark, the resulting plugin should work with the version of Wireshark for which you have the source tarball; there is currently no guarantee that it'll work with newer versions of Wireshark (and definitely is, and never will be, a guarantee that it'll work with older versions, as you might be using a routine that didn't exist in the older versions).