Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Analysing MSN traffic

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 22:42:10 -0800

On Jan 8, 2007, at 9:59 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 07:29:22PM -0000, Antonio Cassidy wrote:
It looks like the non standard characters in the image file are being
replaced by '.''s in the capture file.

Yes, "non-printable" characters are replaced with periods when displayed
in Wireshark.

...and the image file is probably a binary file, so it doesn't have characters in it, it has raw byte values (i.e., numbers from 0 to 255 or from -128 to 127) or multi-byte values (e.g., a 2-byte value would be a number from 0 to 65535 or from -32768 to 32767).