Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] I see no captured packets at all

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:14:14 -0500
Hans,

That's an interesting idea.  I just tried it under XP SP2 (two laptops
on same AP, same SSID/channel).  However, even after disabling
gratuitous ARPs, I could not get both laptops to associate to the same
SSID on the same AP when I set the second monitoring laptop to have the
same MAC (tried with same IP, different IPs and didn't work).  As soon
as a second laptop/client associates with the same MAC, the first
laptop/client would get knocked off.

Perhaps this has something to do with the underlying 802.11 "management"
frames and my Cisco AP which I can't see because I have not yet got
AirPcap.  But it's on my list now!

I probably just have to spend some time reading through the 802.11 specs
- I'm sure it's my not understanding enough about how the underlying
"media-type" works.

--Jim

SP2
> > both using the Microsoft Bridge and just using my wireless adapter
in
> > non-promiscuous mode (Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG built-in to a Dell
> > Latitude D610).
> >
> > My particular wireless card will only capture if I don't enable
> > promiscuous mode.  Interestingly enough, if I don't have the
Microsoft
> > Bridge installed with the wireless card as a bridge adapter, then I
> > won't see multicast traffic groups that my host didn't join (in
other
> > words I don't see most multicast traffic).  Once I setup the
Microsoft