Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] I see no captured packets at all

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 09:17:29 -0500
Yep--that's it.  Thanks Guy.

Also, just for the record, I tried capturing under WinPcap under XP, SP2
both using the Microsoft Bridge and just using my wireless adapter in
non-promiscuous mode (Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG built-in to a Dell
Latitude D610).

My particular wireless card will only capture if I don't enable
promiscuous mode.  Interestingly enough, if I don't have the Microsoft
Bridge installed with the wireless card as a bridge adapter, then I
won't see multicast traffic groups that my host didn't join (in other
words I don't see most multicast traffic).  Once I setup the Microsoft
Bridge, then I can capture normally (using promiscuous mode) using the
bridge and all multicast traffic shows up using either the bridge or the
wireless card (although still must capture on wireless card with
promiscuous mode off).

Note that in any case, I can not see non-broadcast/non-multicast traffic
which is not destined to my wireless card.  For this you would need the
AirPcap adapter.

--Jim