Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Malformed Gratuitous ARP

From: "Justin Shore" <justin.shore@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:09:47 -0600
Jaap,

Thanks for the reply.  You've summed it up pretty well though I disagree
with some of your conclusions.  3a and the subsequent 5 should not
happen until after 4.  They're attempting to generate a gratuitous ARP
before they've actually been assigned the IP.  The SPA can not be blank.
It must be populated with a valid IP, something that can't happen until
after 4.

This lack of a valid IP is why the proxy ARP functionality of the DSL
modem/router is kicking in.  It sees a ARP request for an MAC it has
learned on the same physical wire as the requested MAC.  The DSL modem
sends an arp reply with its own MAC as the SHA and the requested TPA as
the SPA.  This allows the 2 hosts to communicate with each other in two
different subnets overlayed on a single broadcast domain.  This is the
very definition of proxy ARP.  Without a valid IP address for the SPA no
proxy ARP daemon could distinguish between a sending host that can't
access the requested MAC directly and one that can.

Having thought about it further I don't believe the THA is part of the
problem, though it is screwed up and should be fixed.  The THA is
supposed to be blank or populated with the Ethernet frame's destination
MAC (f's).  The THA they're using contains an unassigned OUI.  The wired
version of the broadband router (I initially tested the wireless
version) uses a similar THA.

Essentially the DSL modem/router is functioning correctly if it's
running a proxy ARP daemon.  The only problem with that device is that I
can't disable proxy ARP.  The whole problem can be avoided if the
BBRouter would delay its attempt at generating a gratuitous ARP until
after 4 which is when can generate a valid gratuitous ARP (SPA = TPA,
SHA is correct, THA is null).  I've sniffed the DHCP process of about a
dozen different devices these past few days.  About half of them send a
gratuitous ARP.  Only these 2 new broadband routers send these malformed
gratuitous ARPs.

The DSL modem/router manufacturer has been helpful so far.  I believe
they will likely code a way to disable proxy ARP.  The broadband router
manufacturer hasn't been quite as helpful.  They want us to work with
the reseller we bought them from to troubleshoot the problem.  The
reseller doesn't have that kind of knowledge and they can't fix a code
problem on the manufacturer's devices.  The manufacturer did say that
they would continue to work the problem on their end anyhow.  We have a
few options that we can take at this point if need be.

Thanks for the input
 Justin