Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Why can I see non-broadcast traffic not involving the capu

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:47:57 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

An Ethernet switch tries to make an educated _guess_ where to send the
frames it receives. It wants to be smarter then a hub, which sends it out
of all its ports. How does a switch know where to send the frame then. It
does so based on the destination MAC address. (VLAN's are left beyond this
discussion). So it needs to know which port connects to which MAC address.
You said yourself the relevant host was offline, so the switch didn't know
(any more) where this MAC address was. In order to keep the network going
it sends it through all ports, in the hope it learns the port related to
the MAC address when the host resonds. Since it doesn't it won't learn,
so you keep seeing the frames on all ports.

Thanx,
Jaap