Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] openvpn and packet sniffing

From: "Douglas Pratley" <Douglas.pratley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:57:05 -0000
I'm looking at a similar thing at the moment with a view to adding some UI features allowing a more arbitrary selection of protocol in "decode as", but anything I do will be a few weeks away.

If you're running 0.99.4 and you're happy to look at the code to work out how the particular dissectors are working, and to write Lua macros, then you might be able to do something by manipulating the dissector tables using Lua.

Look at

_If_ you can identify the protocol you want to direct the packets to (PPP?), _and_ the one that you are directing from (UDP?) you might be able to set UDP port <x> to dissect as PPP.

Failing that, if you can just add the PPP dissector to the underlying protocol's heuristics table (if it has one), I think it will appear in the "decode as" list.

This is all a bit vague because I have just started looking at this; it may or may not work, and I don't know if it's the sort of hackery you're looking for.