Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] voip troubleshooting

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:55:52 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

One concept you have to get your head wrapped around is the difference
between signaling and media. Signaling has everything to do with Call
Control etc, while media is about the sound etc. conveyed.
RTP is most used for media transport, while general UDP or TCP is used for
signaling transport. The only relation you can use is the addresses of the
endpoints involved. So if you see an RTP flow from an endpoint, there most
likely are signaling flows as well from the enpoint.

Thanx,
Jaap