Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Malformed packet when using IPMI RMCP+

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 13:20:02 -0800
Kota, Sudhindra wrote:

I am running Wireshark on a Windows 2003 Server (Enterprise Edition). I have a tool which uses IPMI 2.0 RMCP+ to communicate with a Baseboard Management Controller (BMC). When I view this in Wireshark I see lots of �Malformed Packet� messages (I have attached the file). I found mention of a patch on the net but I think it is for the Linux version. Is there any such patch/workaround for the Windows version?

Patches are, for free software such as Wireshark, changes to the source code of the application, not to the compiled version of the application; the dissectors in Wireshark are the same for all OSes, so the patch in question is a patch to *all* versions, but can only be applied to the source code, after which the source code has to be recompiled.

We'll either put that patch into the source code base for Wireshark, or a later version (as per Stephen Fisher), and, after that, either a buildbot build or a release will contain the patch.