Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 2 gig limit on mergecap

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:30:49 -0500
Your suspicions are correct:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/choosing_between_ntfs_fat_and_fat32.mspx?mfr=true

The file size limit for FAT32 appears to be 4GB.

That said, I can't image trying to use a modern Hard Drive with large partitions and writing large files under FAT32 - it's just not a robust file system and is too easily corrupted.

--Jim

I always thought 4 gb was the limit for FAT32.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 01:09:40 +0000, "William Saw"
<williamsaw@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Hi Daniel,
> If you are running on wondows FAT32 disk partition, that is the
> limitation.
> Try NTFS.
> Regards,
> SL Saw
>
> >From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: Community support list for Wireshark <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: Re: [Wireshark-users] 2 gig limit on mergecap
> >Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:51:11 +0800
> >

> >Daniel Goolsby wrote:
> > > I sifted through some of the archives but couldn't find anything whether
> > > this was going to be fixed.  I started capturing all port 80 traffic..
> > > every hour i send that tcpdump to another machine, so at the end of the
> > > day i wanted to merge all the traffic together in one nasty port 80
> > > tcpdump file.
> > >
> > > regardless, mergecap stops at 2g.  I made sure and compiled merge on a
> > > Sparc Sun box, i also recompiled zlib to make sure it was at least
> > > compiled on a 64bit machine- no telling if it had any real effect.
> > >
> > > regardless, it still stops after the 2 gig limit has been reached on the
> > > new dump file i'm trying to create.  Are there any other tools that can
> > > merge tcpdump files that anyone knows of that doesn't have this limit?
> > >
> > > I could probably 'tcpreplay' the individual files on an interface that
> > > isn't being used, and tcpdump that one, but that's the only workaround
> > > i've thought up so far.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions/comments?
> >
> >One other thought is: what will you do with a capture file > 2 Gb big?
> >Are you aware that Wireshark needs a lot of memory to open large capture
> >files:
> >
> >http://wiki.wireshark.org/KnownBugs/OutOfMemory
> >
> >?

  Hans Nilsson