Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] 2 gig limit on mergecap

From: "Daniel Goolsby" <danielgoolsby@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:43:06 +0100
I sifted through some of the archives but couldn't find anything whether this was going to be fixed.  I started capturing all port 80 traffic.. every hour i send that tcpdump to another machine, so at the end of the day i wanted to merge all the traffic together in one nasty port 80 tcpdump file.

regardless, mergecap stops at 2g.  I made sure and compiled merge on a Sparc Sun box, i also recompiled zlib to make sure it was at least compiled on a 64bit machine- no telling if it had any real effect.

regardless, it still stops after the 2 gig limit has been reached on the new dump file i'm trying to create.  Are there any other tools that can merge tcpdump files that anyone knows of that doesn't have this limit?

I could probably 'tcpreplay' the individual files on an interface that isn't being used, and tcpdump that one, but that's the only workaround i've thought up so far.

Any suggestions/comments?

--
--daniel