Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Howto: Wireshark from the command line

From: norman <norman_khine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:27:38 +0000 (GMT)
Thanks for your reply.

Mike Savory <msavory@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Norman

Read
man tshark
and
man tcpdump

-a
Specify a criterion that specifies when TShark is to stop
writing
to a capture file. The criterion is of the form
test:value, where
test is one of:

duration:value Stop writing to a capture file after value
seconds
have elapsed.

-w |-
Write raw packet data to outfile or to the standard
output if out-
file is '-'.

NOTE: -w provides raw packet data, not text. If you want
text out-
put you need to redirect stdout (e.g. using '>'), don't
use the -w
option for this.

host host
True if either the IPv4/v6 source or
destination of the
packet is host.

So try

tshark -a duration:5 -w packet.pcap host 192.168.1.5

Regards

Mike