Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Exporting raw packet data?

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:05:51 -0500
Pete,

I didn't even realize you could do this until I read your question, but
here is one way (not sure if this is exactly what you want):
Open a capture
Narrow down the interesting packets
(For example, I do a lot of web traffic analysis so I might use a filter
such as http.content_length > 20000)
Now, let's say I see a Flash file, a GIF, or a JPEG that I want to save
- just the actual binary data, not the packet headers.
I would click on the interesting packet (assuming I have TCP and HTTP
reassembly enabled)
Next, in the packet details window (middle pane) I would click on the
relevant data portion.  So for a JPEG image this would be the part that
reads JPEG File Interchange Format.
Finally, I would use the File->Export->Selected Packet Bytes menu item.
Then I would name the file and I personally change the save as type to
*.* so I can set the file extension (not completely sure this is
necessary but I do it out of habit).
Now, if I open up this file with a graphics viewing I will see that I
have a valid JPEG.

Pretty cool stuff.

You can also filter by TCP streams (but I believe you can't save as raw
from the TCP Streams page).  Once you filter by TCP Stream, close the
Follow TCP Stream page.  Now, you need to select the packet that has the
upper layer info you're interested in.  There should only be one packet
like this.  The rest of the packets will be flow start (SYN, SYN/ACK,
ACK), flow stop (FIN/ACK, ACK, FIN/ACK, ACK), and reassembled PDUs (TCP
Segment of a reassembled PDU), or maybe an occasional ReSeT.  In my
case, I look for the one packet that says HTTP/1.1 200 OK (JPEG JFIF
image).

Hope that helps,
  --Jim