Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark help

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:07:47 -0800
Andrew Watson wrote:

My questionis how can I output a file that I can then read / inspect?

As Jaap Keuter noted, the output of the "-w" flag isn't a text file, it's a binary file containing raw packet data.

Either

1) don't use the "-w", just redirect the output, which will produce a text file - in UN*X text file format, *not* Windows text file format, in versions running on a UN*X (which CentOS is, being a Linux distribution), so if you're planning on reading it on a Windows system (as the ".txt" suggests you might be), you'll need a text editor that can handle files with LFs but no CRs at the ends of lines

or

2) use "-w", and read the file with TShark or Wireshark (or any other program that can read libpcap-format files) rather than with a text editor.