Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Ethereal-users] How do I get Ethereal (Windows XP) to sta

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:04:06 -0800

On Nov 9, 2006, at 10:07 AM, Justin Aborn wrote:

I want to decode new vendor specific RADIUS attributes.

I added a new dictionary file to the Windows directory where all the
other radius dictionary files are (and working fine...):

	C:\Program Files\Ethereal\radius

But it's apparently not as simple as that.  Ethereal is still not
decoding the Vendor Specific Attributes specified in the added
dictionary file.

...and Wireshark probably wouldn't, either.  (See

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2

for an explanation of the move from Ethereal to Wireshark - same software, same developers, different name.)

There must be some form of "install dictionary" process that I have not
found anything about in help/faq/READMEs/etc.

I presume the RADIUS dictionary works this way so that it matches what FreeRADIUS does:

The RADIUS dictionary is in the file "dictionary" in the "radius" directory. That file largely consists of $INCLUDE statements that include the other dictionary files; if you add a "dictionary.{vendor}" file to the "radius" directory, you also have to add a $INCLUDE in the "dictionary" file in that directory.